How Mental Health Effects Society
May is recognized as Mental Health Awareness Month, an important time to reduce stigma, and promote self-care and well-being. The importance of mental health is a crucial aspect of our overall well-being, and it’s important to prioritize it just as we do our physical health.
Mental health encompasses our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and behave and influences how we handle stress, cope with challenges, and make decisions. Mental health is essential for our overall quality of life, and impacts every aspect of our daily lives, including our relationships, work, and overall happiness.
Unfortunately, mental health challenges are prevalent. According to the National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI), approximately 1 in 5 adults in the United States experiences mental illness in a given year. Additionally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that globally, over 264 million people of all ages suffer from depression, and close to 800,000 people die by suicide each year.
Mental health conditions can affect anyone, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status, and it’s essential to promote early detection, intervention, and support for those who may be struggling.
Recognizing Mental Health Awareness Month
The establishment of Mental Health Awareness Month serves a crucial purpose: to increase public awareness and education regarding the importance mental health, combat the pervasive stigma surrounding it, and inspire individuals to seek necessary help and support.
Taking place every May, organizations and advocates worldwide band together to promote the importance of mental health awareness through impactful campaigns, engaging events, and empowering initiatives. Through spreading awareness, we help others understand that mental health is as important as physical health, and that taking care of our minds is crucial for overall wellness.
Why We Need to Prioritize Mental Health
The importance of mental health can be attributed to various factors:
- Overall well-being: Our mental health is an integral part of our general well-being. We must prioritize our mental health. This includes managing stress, practicing good self-care, and seeking help when necessary. This is just as important as taking care of our physical health through exercise, nutrition, and rest.
- Reducing stigma: The stigma associated with mental health problems are a significant barrier that prevents many people from seeking help they need. Prioritizing mental health and openly discussing it can reduce the stigma. This will create a more supportive and inclusive environment for people dealing with mental health issues.
- Preventing mental health issues: Prioritizing mental health can help to prevent mental health challenges. Engaging in self-care practices such as regular exercise, healthy eating, sufficient sleep, and stress management can contribute to improved mental health and overall well-being.
- Improved relationships: Our mental health significantly affects our relationships with others. Prioritizing our mental health enables us to manage stress better, communicate more effectively, and build healthy relationships with our loved ones, colleagues, and friends. It can also set a good example for others of what taking care of your mental health looks like.
- Increased productivity: Taking care of our mental health can also lead to increased productivity and performance in various aspects of our lives, including work, school, and other activities. When our minds are healthy, we can concentrate better, make informed decisions, and tackle challenges more efficiently.
By taking care of ourselves, we can better manage the challenges and stressors that we face in our daily lives and maintain a healthy state of mind.
How to Prioritize Mental Health
Here are some practical ways to prioritize mental health in your life:
- Establish self-care routines: Set aside time each day for self-care activities such as exercise, meditation, or reading a book. Making these activities a part of your daily routine can help you prioritize your mental health.
- Manage stress: Find healthy ways to manage stress, such as practicing mindfulness.
- Set boundaries: Setting boundaries is an important part of prioritizing your mental health. This means saying no to activities or commitments that are not in line with your mental health goals and making time for the things that bring you joy and fulfillment.
- Seek professional help: If you are struggling with mental health issues, seeking professional help can be a valuable step in prioritizing your mental health. This may involve working with a therapist or counselor, or seeking other forms of health care treatment such as medication or support groups. Remember that seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
Prioritizing your mental health can also promote physical health benefits as well, such as reducing the risk of chronic diseases and improving sleep quality. It can also improve our overall quality of life by increasing our ability to enjoy hobbies and leisure activities, and by promoting a sense of fulfillment and purpose.
How ObservSMART Can Help
Addressing the growing mental health concerns in our communities is vital. With prolonged wait times for emergency department care, it’s more important than ever for behavioral health professionals to prioritize the safety and well-being of their patients.
For years, mental healthcare organizations have relied on paper-based documentation, putting the safety of those seeking inpatient mental healthcare at greater risk of harm. With ObservSMART’s proximity-based technology, staff are equipped with a digital tool to prioritize patient care and safety, helping to proactively prevent risks such as self-harm, suicide, or elopement.
Real-time reporting through ObservSMART technology offers valuable insights into patient progress and improved patient outcomes. With comprehensive analytics including sleep patterns, vitals, detox levels, and more, ObservSMART provides staff and clinical leadership with a comprehensive view of patient behavior, aiding in accurately assessing treatment efficacy at every step of the way.
By offering a comprehensive range of resources, support, and treatment options, we can help people take charge of their mental health and live happier, more fulfilling lives. Let’s take this Mental Health Awareness Month as an opportunity to reflect on our own well-being and make a commitment to prioritizing it throughout the year.
Learn more about the ObservSMART technology, and how we help facilities across the country by scheduling a demo today!